Thursday, October 28, 2010

With privlege comes responsibility!

So, day 3 of the wiki has come and gone. I totally forgot to post yesterday, but something of definite note occurred...

Sequence of events:
6:46 am-- Got to school and checked my email to see an email from a student telling me that she could not do her homework because the "column of names" had disappeared. DISAPPEARED? I thought...how could that be?

6:48 am-- Yes, indeed, the names (kids' pages) had disappeared and in it's place was some random comment that I recoginzed must be a response to a students' piece of writing. Oh boy...

6:55 am-- Figured out who wiped out the page links. Realize this kid not only didn't do this on purpose but A) probably didn't realize what she had done, and B) definitely doesn't know how she did it.

7:17 am-- Found said girl in the cafeteria having her breakfast and confirmed all of my suspicions above

7:31 am-- Finished my morning duty and it was back to the drawing board. How do I get the wiki back to the way it was? The kids will freak out if this is changed already! They won't know what to do and I will be pummeled with students asking the same questions 50 times!

7:55 am-- During prep...it takes me a while but I accidentally stumble across a place where I can edit this mess. I have to re-enter all of the links. I do not know how to get back to this page.

8:25 am-- Still do not know how to edit the page, so I tell kids what happened and warn them to PLEASE be VERY AWARE that they are editing on the page that they actually want to be on!

We are learning that, in wikis as in life...with privilege comes responsibility :)

No comments:

Post a Comment